Etsy Boy Scout bottle Cap

Campbound

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

LDS Cub Scouting parent orientation letter

When I first joined the cub scouting program in the Howell ward I was numero uno - only one person assigned to run the program.  I was cub leader, cubmaster, and committee chair all roled in to one.  It was a nightmare.  Not only was I new to cub scouts, my boys weren't quite old enough, but I was really new to being involved in scouting!  I never want to be put into a situation where I had no idea what I was doing.  I hate that feeling.  These posts are to help people with the lds cub scouting and get them familiar with it and hopefully alleviate stress and concerns about the whole process.  So first of all, my post is about orienting new families into your program.  I am officially a pack committee chair but there are many other leaders involved in cub scouting.  Those who are to orient the family should include the primary counselor over cub scouts, the cubmaster, den leader and pack committee chair or member, depending on how many committee members you have to fill positions.  Here is a link to the page with an example parent letter I found on the internet.  It is very thorough.  I created my own, but have yet to upload it.

It's in my google docs so just send me a share request if you are interested.  

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15eSNoHcAzZib1XxQTXU9RkMFX1ooJ1h1IJFmz6y9ekI/edit


2 comments:

  1. Hey I have been perusing your site and it is awesome. I love the Pioneer theme for the Blue and Gold- we are totally stealing it for next year. I was just called as the Cubmaster (I was Wolf Den Leader previously) which is a calling I inherited from my husband. So I am not totally in the dark, but I definately did not take notes while he was going about his calling. So I was stoked to find your site which will take me through the basics and give me a few ideas to steal. Thanks so much for the work you are doing here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie-

    I'm so glad the site was able to help with your orientation into your Cubmaster calling. :-) I've been in and out of callings for cub scouts about 10 plus years so I thought I would share my knowledge. I appreciate your comment!

    ReplyDelete